Q1: What is a Comprehensive Plan?
A Comprehensive Plan is a road map and guide for the community to follow as it considers decisions, both large and small, over the next 20 years. This plan will be Kirkwood’s vision for the future and strategic outline for getting there. The plan is a policy guide that provides a framework for making development and zoning decisions. The planning process includes an assessment of existing resources and issues, projections of future conditions and needs, and consideration of collective goals and objectives. The Comprehensive Plan is NOT a zoning ordinance, subdivision regulation, a budget, a capital improvement program or other regulatory document. it is meant to be the basis for the preparation of these documents.
Q2: How will the City of Kirkwood use this Comprehensive Plan?
The purpose of the Comprehensive Plan is to enable City Officials and Staff to better manage change and to inform residents and businesses about Kirkwood’s characteristics, trends and policies. The plan will guide municipal actions, including the regulation of future residential, commercial and light industrial growth in Kirkwood.
Q3: What does a Comprehensive Plan contain?
The plan will contain, in general, the following sections:
- Community Background (Demographics)/History
- Process Description
- Goals & Objectives
- Future Land Use
- Residential Development
- Parks & Recreation
- Economic Development
- Urban Design
The specific sections of the Comprehensive Plan will be refined and finalized as part of Steering Committee and Public Input process.
Q4: How will the EnVision Kirkwood 2035 process unfold?
The EnVision Kirkwood 2035 planning process will consist of four major phases.
- PHASE ONE will consist of data collection and the initial public input process. Data will be acquired and analyzed with respect to all major aspects of Kirkwood. A community survey will be produced and stakeholder meetings will be held to gain an understanding of what the City of Kirkwood’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats are.
- PHASE TWO will be dedicated to the development of guiding principles and goals and objectives. The goals and objectives establish how the City of Kirkwood intends to address issues within the community and helps elected officials make decisions.
- PHASE THREE will look at the major plan elements and as well as implementation projects and priorities.
- PHASE FOUR is the time for final review and adoption of the plan by the Planning and Zoning Commission as dictated by Missouri State Law.
Q5: When will the plan be implemented?
The Comprehensive Plan becomes “official” following formal adoption by the Planning and Zoning Commission. Once this final step occurs, the plan and its goals may be implemented.
Q6: How can I participate in this process?
Specific meetings will be advertised and conducted to solicit and encourage community participation. A variety of methods will be used to keep people informed such as the City Website, Social Media and E-Newsletters. Please visit www.kirkwood2035.org or contact Ryan Spencer, City Planner with specific questions or comments (314) 984-5907, email@example.com.
Q7: What is the best way to be notified about important Envision meetings?
Please visit www.kirkwood2035.org or contact Ryan Spencer, City Planner